As part of VAASA’S End of Year Blog Challenge, we would like you to read this blog below from Carl Coetzee of Amon Ra Travel and Tours (Pty) Ltd.
Amon Ra Travel and Tours (Pty) Ltd has chosen a non-profit organisation called Same Love Toti. The Founder of Same Love Toti is named Kim. Same Love Toti is an organisation that advocates for the rights of the LGBT communities in mostly the South Coast of Kwa-Zulu Natal.
The organisation helps empower the members of the LGBTI an acronym for ‘lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex’ communities to be more included in South Africa and the society at large to be more inclusive and equitable. Same Love Toti provides psychological and social support for the LGBTI communities. Same Love Toti started as PFLAG which is an acronym for Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays.
The constitution of Same Love Toti is about increasing the knowledge of the law within South Africa such as the South African Constitution that no one can discriminate against members of the LGBTI community and the LGBTI community has the same rights as the heterosexual community. Same Love Toti is also working on the steering committee of the Hate Crimes Working Group which their main aim is to create and implement the Hate Crimes Bill and monitor all hate crimes within South Africa.
The services that Same Love Toti provides are as follows:
- Sensitization of the local communities: this is where Same Love Toti works with other LGBTI organisations and goes into rural communities to teach the members about the LGBT laws and diversity
- Sensitization at Schools: Same Love Toti goes to different schools and teaches the students, parents, and teachers about what is considered homophobia and transphobia.
- For the actual LGBTI community:
- Face to Face counseling
- Suicide prevention
- Support desk
- A helpline that the LGBTI community can phone in for any support
- A support group that normally meets once a month but due to the COVID-19 pandemic it is not possible
- Transgender sessions with an accredited psychologist once a month
- Intervention sessions for any cases of homophobia and transphobia
The way that VAASA can support Same Love Toti is by either donating funds or by volunteering at the organisation.
Amon Ra Travel and Tours (Pty) Ltd owner of Carl Coetzee has supported Same Love Toti since 2017 when the travel agency was a member of the KZN Gay and Lesbian Tourism Association. The travel agency gave a presentation at one of the monthly meetings of Same Love Toti. The travel agency also has done sensitisation training with Kim of Same Love Toti. The travel agency owner has been part of different meetings in Same Love Toti and supports the organisation with travel services.
For more information about Carl Coetzee and how Amon Ra Travel and Tours (Pty) Ltd can assist your business, please do visit our members page.